Monday, September 20, 2010

A SUNNY SUNDAY AND A QUIET MONDAY


19th and 20th September 2010


High cloud lifted briskly and the Spring sun shone down brilliantly when we were at the AIS for running training on Sunday. Jarrett was doing a shorter run this week as on Tuesday he has ASC (Associated Southern Colleges) Championships. It was the perfect morning for a walk around the perimeter of the AIS and as we walked several other people had ventured out also in the delightful weather. Along the walk we were surprised to see a family of wild rabbits out in the sunshine twitching their alert little ears and hopping around outside their burrows. There was a really tiny baby one huddled in close to what would have obviously being its mother. We were able to get quite close to them before they hurriedly scurried back into the safety of their burrows. The Kangaroos were also out sunning themselves on the grass, blossom trees of pastel pink and white were in full bloom and a kaleidoscope of colourful birds filled the air with their melodious songs.


After running training Mum, Dad and I went to Magnet Mart, Nalani and Jarrett had homework to finish so they stayed at home doing that. Magnet Mart was crowded with people buying gardening supplies and plants for their gardens. We bought some shrubs for the front gardens where the pine trees that had over hung the drive way once were. I helped choose them, we bought an Astarea Winter Pink which is covered with masses of deep pink tea tree flowers, Little Charmer which is an evergreen shrub with clusters of rich purple winged pea like flowers and Fairy Star which has a fine grass like foliage with shell pink star shaped flowers that provide a prolific display. We also got some pots of colour to go into a large pot that we have and we put that beside the front landing. I found two little fairies to sit on my wishing well and you can see them in my picture and on top of the well I put a pink and a blue butterfly. I am delighted with my fairy garden and hope that it will be magical and bring happiness to everyone who sees it. It is not large but it is not size that matters it is about what it means and for me it means hope and love.


After going to Magnet Mart we then played Upwords, I did some decoupage, a special photo frame that I am going to put a photograph of me in one side and Mum and I in the other and give it to her for her Birthday in October. I played playstation with Jarrett we played Crash Racing and then Tennis we laughed a lot and had a splendid time. At night I watched Junior Master Chef and continue to be blown away and amazed by the talent of these young Chefs. I love cooking and always feel really proud of what I achieve but there is no way that I could cook most of the dishes that they are producing and many of them are younger than me.


My right arm has improved, it is no longer drooping, it remains a little weakened but I am grateful to have it almost normal. My right hand though is still painful and I am having difficulties gripping things in my hand. My ankle is still giving me grief, although I am working tirelessly on my exercises that Rhiannon, when I try to put too much pressure on it it becomes weak, extremely painful and swells. After walking with my rollator on Sunday my right knee locked up, swelled and was throbbing with pain.


I had my usual restless night sleep with pain, a cough and running nose, Mum as usual was there to give me comfort and help. When I woke this morning I was so delighted to see the sun shinning once again. I did not have school today however we had to go as Mum had an appointment for a SCAN meeting for me, a SCAN is a Student Centred Appraisal of Needs, the Department of Education and Training representative meet with the Teacher, Parent and the Principals Delegate to discuss various areas of need for a student with a disability or who has had an illness. The appraisal determines educational needs for me and often additional resources are given to the school to assist me. While Mum was in the meeting I did some colouring in in the library. By the time Mum had finished in the meeting both my hands were so fatigued, so I was pleased to be returning home.


A person from Therapy ACT was supposed to come and visit us to look into Occupational Therapy needs that I may require to assist me at home and school, however we received a telephone call to say that she would not be coming today and our appointment was cancelled. So I did my Mathletics homework, played Upwords, had a rest and sorted through my Barbie Doll box.


Tomorrow because Jarrett is racing and we have to take him to the AIS I will not have school, however Wednesday is the French Assessment, I am not feeling confident about it, but I will do my best and hopefully that will be enough to pass. Luckily there are no snails on the menu because I would hate to order them by mistake!


'Turn your face to the sun and the shadows will fall behind you'

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dainere, sounds like you had a lovely weekend , buying plants , for the garden , and finding the fairies and butterflies , which I can see look lovely on your wishing well and pots. Also lovely to see the little rabbits and kangaroos. You are so right Dainere , sometimes the smallest simplest things that we have are often the most precsious .

Yes wasnt masterchef just fantastic, , some of us adults find it hard to boil water without burning the pan !! and here we have these lovely children making food thats fit for the finest restaurants.

So glad to hear that your right hand has improved , but sorry to hear that walking on the rollator has caused some problems, I think may be that it is something that has to be taken slowly , , but it WILL come in time , I know we always want to run before we can walk , , however as you have the determination to succeed , it will all come in the end .

Hope the person from Therapy Australia remakes the appt for you very soon.

OH Wednesday and the French Assessment , I will be thinking about you very much , , you have so many things going on , just be your self and take a deep breath before it starts . I know you wll do your very best , good luck. I hope your week is a good one . Lots of love stuart xxx

Unknown said...

Hi Dainere!
Glad to hear your arm is on the mend. That must be very scary when that happens.
I have a confession to make. I was out shopping a few weeks back and I found something for your fairy garden. I just HAD to get it as it reminded me of you. I'm so pleased to finally see a photo of your garden, it is so lovely and it has just reminded me that I have to figure out a way to get this present to you. Is there a way I can contact you? Alternatively I have a friend that knows your family through Athletics, so can try and send it with him.
I hope that the warmer weather that is starting to grace Canberra will start to improve things for you. I know that my arthritis is improving already just not having the colder mornings. I love spring so much my mood definitely improves, how could it not with all the beautiful blossoms everywhere?!
Good luck with the walking with your rollator. I'm sure it will just take perseverance and practice, of which you have such strength I know you will eventually get there.
Stay positive, you remain a shining light of hope in all our eyes.
Your devoted blog reader,
Natalie :)

Gillion said...

are you getting better now? Pei Pa Koa (www.geocities.jp/ninjiom_hong_kong/index_e.htm ) is one of the few Chinese natural cough remedies that have been scientifically studied. it's something like herb plus honey, and it's sweet, thick and black in color. If you have a cough, look for it! It used to be one of my favourite natural cough remedies.

if your cough persists, seek professional help such as traditional Chinese medicine physicians - I have had very good experiences with them.

Anonymous said...

Dainere - I too am amazed at the extraordinary culinary skills of the junior master chef contestants - and they are much more gracious and interesting to watch than the adult competitors. I wanted to taste every meal of the heat I saw. I suppose it's just they have had the opportunity to be in a kitchen and use those ingredients and practice. And they obviously have such a passion for what they do. I am sure you could do what they do, given the opportunity.

Good luck with your french assessment.

I have to say thankyou too - I had a run in with some terrible pain the last couple of days and it got me down. And then I thought of your courage and determination, and even though the pain didn't subside, it became more manageable.

Attitude is everything my friend, and yours shines like the sun to light the way.

Hope you're better at gardening than me - to be honest I am pretty woeful - I am much better at cats. :)

I like the present idea for your mum too.

Good luck to Jarrett in his competition too.

Anthea

Sarah said...

Hi Dainere,

I found your blog through the lovely Carol. She is wonderful and clearly you are too! You express yourself so freely and well through your blog, it's really like getting to know you. You have a lovely turn of phrase. I look forward to reading back through more of your previous posts.... (forward to reading back... does that make sense?!)and getting to know the cast of real-life characters you talk about.

I love the idea of a fairy garden, I think my daughter would love it too (she's only 2 now, maybe in a year or so when she's old enough to appreciate it) - I hope you don't mind if I borrow some of your ideas!

xx
Sarah