Saturday, March 24, 2012

BACK TO SCHOOL FOR A BUSY WEEK

17th to 23rd March 2012

After resting for a week to recover from my radiotherapy treatment it was back to school this week. As we are in week seven at school it has been a time of tests and assignments.  I had a Maths test which was on our unit of indices and we have now moved onto a unit on probability.  I also had a Sports Science test on fitness and health.  In English we watched the movie Tomorrow When the War Began, it was quite different to the book but I still really enjoyed watching it and seeing the characters grow and develop as the movie progressed.  We learnt a new term about analysing a scene it is called 'Mise-en-scene'.  This refers to everything that appears before the camera and its arrangement like composition, sets, props, actors, costumes and lighting.  It also includes the positioning and movement of the actors on the set. 

I had a visit from my Occupational Therapist, I have a new one and he is really terrific, he is going to help me to be able to do things at school and home that I am having trouble with, with the assistance of special equipment.  He is going to visit again next week and we are going to try some equipment out.

Since having my radiotherapy I have found that my pain has reduced although not gone completely and at times it does become worse.  I am still a little tired from the treatment but I am determined not to let that stop me from doing the activities I really love.

I am hoping to be able to compete in my School Cross Country next month and also the Women and Girls Fun Run which I participated in last year and had lots of fun, it is a 5km event and you can run or walk.  OvCan ACT is the official charity partner for this event, they are a small not for profit organisation that was established eight years ago to raise local awareness about the symptoms of ovarian cancer. This type of cancer is one of the most lethal of the gynaecological cancers and affects around 1200 women each year in Australia. In this event only women and girls can enter and there are prizes for various age categories and other special categories.

Autumn has truly arrived in Canberra, with the weather cooling down significantly and the leaves on the trees are beginning to change colour, amongst the green leaves there are some golden yellow leaves peeping through.  I found out that as Autumn approaches and the weather gets colder the trees realise that winter is near so they get ready.  A thin layer of cells grows over the waters tubes int he leaves and closes them up in preparation for Winter, no more water can get into the leaf.   Without the water the green chlorophyll starts to disappear and the other colours in the leaf, like yellow can finally be seen, so really the leaves don't turn a certain colour, they just lose their green.

In Footy Tipping Nana has now slipped into the lead, but only by just one point to Pop and then I am one point behind him.  I have already got the two games right from last night so hopefully that will help me catch up. 

May your week ahead be filled with many rainbow moments and may you open your eyes wide, enjoy the beauty of nature and find something to make you smile, by smiling it is like having the sun shine in your day despite any hurdles that may come your way.

3 comments:

Dianne said...

Dear Dainere,

I'm glad to be back reading your blog and to read you are feeling a little better from having the radiotherapy. You have a refreshing outlook on life in general and determination to take you through the x-country and fun-walk.

I assisted in the Long Jump on Sat at the ACT Open Champs and was rewarded with watching several paralympians jumping with blades...it was cold for them!

Your description of the way Autumn leaves change colour is something I did not know or forgot having learned as a younger person.

Good luck with the footy tipping - Lv Dianne xxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Dainere,

I was thinking about you last night when the Raiders were playing your Tigers. I usually go for the Raiders, but I would have been happy enough for the Tigers to win so that you could be happy......!! Better luck next time.

However, the game did remind me of that very special Raiders v Tigers game when you made the presentation of the cup. That photo of Benji giving you a huge hug is one that stays in my mind - your smile lit up the whole of Canberra Stadium!

It's great that your Occupational Therapist is so good. I'm looking forward to hearing how the new equipment will work for you.

Have a wonderful week,

Lots of love and big hugs,

Anna xoxoxoxoxoxox

Anonymous said...

Dear Dainere,

I suppose school has been busy again this week. Have you had more assessment tasks/exams this week? It must be getting close to the end of term. NSW schools finish for Term 1 next Thursday. It's interesting reading about "mis-en-scene". I'd never heard of the term until I proof-read a Uni essay in Film Studies for my son.... so I think you are very clever learning about it in High School!!

Good to hear about your Occupational Therapist being so helpful. Hope you have had success trying out some new equipment this week.

Your Autumn seems much cooler than ours at present. Today it was 28! A thunderstorm was predicted for this afternoon but passed over us. We haven't had much rain at all this month, which is a change from January and February.

There have been quite a few upsets in the footy in the first few rounds. Have you managed to catch up to Nan and Pop yet? Good luck!

Hope you have a great weekend.

Sending love,

Mariannemr